Friday, November 26, 2010

Grammar: Learning English Present Tenses


             The word tense comes from Latin word “tempus” which means time. It is the form that a verb takes or assumes to indicate the time of action, the condition, or the state of being.

Simple Present Tense

  • Repetitive , habitual or customary action.Adverbs of frequency expressing that the action is formed regularly or routinely and is expected of the doer, accompany the verb. These are; usually, everyday, frequently, often, mostly, daily, annually, twice a week, sometimes, always, seldom, etc.
                    Examples:
                             She always comes to class early.
                             Only rarely does he return to his hometown.
                             Muslims pray five times a day.
  • Current frame of mind
Feelings and perception at the time of utterances are in the simple present to stress the speaker’s current consciousness.
                    Examples:
I sense the presence of supernatural being.
She feels cold.
  • Facts and accepted observation and generalities
Statements whose veracity is accepted, and generalities known to be true are stated in the simple present tense.
                      Examples:
                             Every age has its own culture.
                             Water seeks its own level.
                             Seoul City is in Korea
  • Imperatives
Example:
                    Take your cues from me.

Present Progressive Tense

  • To indicate action in progress at the moment of speaking.
Examples:
The workers are always complaining.
They are fixing the faucet now.
I speak three languages but I am speaking English now.
  • To describe a situation existing at the present
Example:
As you read this, you are sitting in front of your computer. You are learning about the Present Progressive Tense.
  • To indicate an activity or situation that is continuing over a period of time.
Example:
          This year, I am studying English, Math, History and Accounting a t the University. I am living in the dormitory. I am making good progress in my studies. I am working harder than I did in high school, but I’m enjoying my new status.

  • Certain adverbs and adverbial phrases are frequently use with the progressive aspect: now, this summer, at the moment, today, this semester, this week, this year, at this time.

Present Perfect Tenses

  • Indicates continuous time from a vague past to the present. The emphasis is on the present meaning.
Examples:
                    He has lost all his money.
                    They have gone.
                    How the child has grown.
  • Indicate continuous action from the past time to the present. The emphasis is on the length of time introduced by “for” or “since”.
Examples:
                    I have waited for you for two hours.
                    I have not seen him for a year.
  • Expresses recent events with the help of the word “just” or “recently”.
Examples:
                    The guest of honor has just arrived.
                    I have seen him recently.
  • Denotes future action after the words when, before, as soon as, after, until.
Examples:
                    I shall read my theme when I have finished writing it.    
                    A bird will not leave the nest until it has learned to fly.
                    I will pay you as soon as you have finished your work.


Present Perfect Progressive Tense

  • It is formed by putting together has/have been + v-ing. It indicates that the action which began in the past I still going on. It is always used with the time expression beginning with since or for.
Example:
                    He has been speaking for an hour.